Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Adventures in Gluten Free Baking: Ham & Cheddar Biscuits with Bacon Gravy

Alright y'all...  Not my healthiest recipe, fowshow...  However, after having 6 straight nights of some kind of meat and some kind of veggie dinners, I earned this...  Okay, I might be justifying a little here, but it is good none the less.  I was watching Diners and Dives or whatever that show is on The Food Network.  The dude was Ooooohing and Aaaahing over something from a diner.  I knew I could make it gluten free, so I set out to make it happen.  Here is what became of my creation, and the recipe...  If you are in need of some comfort food yourself, try it out.  A perfect, "It's Sunday morning, I worked all week, and I deserve it" kind of food ;-)





Gluten Free Ham & Cheddar Biscuits:

2 Cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix
1/3 cup of shortening and butter together {about half and half}
2/3 cup of milk
3 eggs
1/2 cup small chunks of ham {more if you like it chunky... yah, I said chunky ;-) }
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions {more or less if you like, just play with it to your taste}
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the shortening/ butter mixture into the baking mix, using a fork, until particles are the size of small peas.  Stir in remaining ingredients until soft dough forms.  Drop into a greased muffin tin, bake 14 to 18 minutes until browned to your liking...  {I like mine crispy on top}.  Makes 12 biscuits.


Bacon Gravy:
In a non stick pan, brown 4 - 6 strips of bacon.  Remove bacon from the pan and set aside on paper towels, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.  Add 1/3 cup Gluten Free flour of your choice to the pan, stir, and cook for a few minutes on medium high heat to cook out the flour flavor.  Do not burn your roux here folks!  Whisk in 4 cups of milk.  Bring to a boil, whisking continuously.  Add 1 tsp {or more if needed} of salt, pepper to your liking, and a couple of crumbled pieces of the bacon.  You will be tempted to add all of the crumbled bacon in.  I don't recommend it, unless you just really like everything to taste like bacon.  In that case, go for it friend!  Reduce heat and simmer on low for several more minutes to get the flour-y taste out of it.  My experience with GF flour is that it takes just a bit longer than regular to meld into gravies and sauces.  Pour over your biscuits, and delight in the goodness you have created....


Hope y'all like this recipe, it is fast, easy, and savory.  Happy eating!!!!!!!!!

No comments: