Sunday, September 28, 2014

Adventures in Gluten Free: Crab Cakes

I dabbled today in making an old favorite.  I saw a recipe on the internet, an knew I had to try it. Overall, the gluten free flour is best dusted and not caked on, but they tasted great.  I had to modify the recipe that I used from here, because I could not get the cakes to stick together...  {oh, only the main and common problem with gluten free in general}...  Half way through I decided that small rolled balls would make an excellent appetizer, so there's an idea too.  I tried it myself, and they held together much better than the larger patties.  If you are careful, and only flip them once - using two spatulas - they will come out pretty and all in one piece.  But as most of us gluten free cooks know, sometimes pretty isn't in the cards and all we care about is that "get in my belly" moment...





Here are the ingredients that I used:
{recipe adapted from here}
  • 1 pound crab meat, preferably lump
  • 1 finely diced small red or green Bell pepper
  • 1 finely diced small sweet yellow onion
  • 3 minced large cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 15 coarsely crushed gluten-free crackers (I used Glutino Gluten Free crackers}
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon prepared (not dry) mustard
  • 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (I used French's)
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour for dusting crab cakes before frying (I used Namaste all purpose)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
  • 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil for pan frying crab cakes
Saute minced pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Do not brown. Place crackers in a plastic bag and coarsely crush with a rolling pin or round drinking glass.
Combine crab meat, sauteed vegetables, crushed crackers, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Old Bay seasoning and thoroughly combine with a large spatula.
Shape crab cakes. This recipe makes 9 medium gluten-free crab cakes or about 18 appetizer, bite-sized crab cake balls.
Place gluten-free all purpose flour in a shallow dish. Add salt, pepper and paprika (optional) to taste. Dust each cake lightly with flour and pan fry in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown on each side.  Be careful not to pile on the gluten free flour, it doesn't quite fry up all the way when it is lumped on there...  

Hope you enjoy your crab cakes!  For me, It was nice to be able to have an old favorite again!

No comments: