Sunday, January 5, 2014

3rd year is the charm ;-)

This is our 3rd Christmas in our rental home.  I did not think we would rent this long, this is the longest I have rented since I was a teenager.  Our reasons for renting are many, and I won't bore you with all the details.  But it boils down to this...  I have never found "the one" whenever our lease was up for renewal.  You have such a small window of opportunity to put in an offer on a home, versus renewing your lease.  It is a viscous circle and a game that I hate playing.  But I hate to spend 200K on something that I feel rushed into buying even more.  So, here we are.  Renting this builder basic rental home for another year.  Our living room is quite precarious and not user friendly at all.  When I say not user friendly, I mean designed by someone who obviously did not own furniture more than like a futon.  It is an impossible great room with 3 exits from the room and an open/ half wall on one side.  I know what you are thinking right now... better you than me, right?!  So yes, it is a humdinger to figure out where on earth the Christmas tree will go every year.

This year, I actually moved furniture to squeeze in our {pathetic tiny fake} Christmas tree.  Hold up now!  These assaulting words are valid on my part you see... if I am at eye level with my Angel topper, and it takes me several hours just to "fluff" the branches, well there you go...  I miss real trees....  but we just won't go there with wasting money like that since we moved to Texas.  The trees here are not like the ones we would tromp miles in the snow to cut down when we lived in the PacNW.  They are just different.  So we don't.  Hence the artificial tree.  I lived 38 years of my life with real trees, so having a fake tree is taking some getting used to.  I have had it in 3 different locations here in this house:













And this has got to be my favorite spot.  I loved having the stockings nearby, especially since our Texan home does not have a fireplace {which is pure blasphemy if you ask me!}.  Yes, the poor tree gets squished into corner.  But on the upside, you really don't have to over decorate the backside much... {haha!!!!! backside!} ....





Easy burlap stockings paired up with random letters I had on hand.




The ornaments that I added to my stash this year were just letters and some vintage metal stars.  I like having everyone's initials on the tree.























Changed up how I displayed my Grandmother's passed down vintage ornaments this year.  I think they look great this way.  And I found these tiny vintage light bulbs at a local antique store for $10!  They went right into my old gumball machine.  I added an EAT sign that I made {just painted letters glued to the glass front of a detailed frame.  The back side of the frame is covered with chevron fabric.}  {There's that 'back side' again... at least I used a space this time.... lol}...






Went to town on the banister this year...  Got this sweet red meshy stuff at Costco for a steal... $9 for two huge rolls.... I only used one roll for both sides of the banister... that stuff goes really far!  I was able to grab these vintage knit stockings at a local antique mall for $3 each.... I couldn't believe the price on them, it was like she was giving them away!










Found some old ice skates at The Goodwill over the last year, loved decorating with them.  



















Some other vintage touches I added to the place..........































An old tray from Goodwill with some holiday picks and an ornament... easy peasy...  




This wreath may not survive another year... I have had to paint the Styrofoam berries like 5 times because they keep falling apart and breaking off.  But it works, so I keep doing it...  





Overall, I didn't spend much to 'upgrade' my Christmas goodies this year.  Just decided to use them in different ways to more suit my style.  I think my house looked the best it has ever looked this year, so 3rd year is the charm ;-)  Hugs and  hope your Christmas was filled with blessings and beauty :-)

No comments: