Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Minecraft Birthday.... and a labor of Love :-)

There really isn't anything I wouldn't do for my kiddos...  Sometimes I feel compelled to go the extra mile just because I love them so much... So when my boys asked for a Minecraft theme for their 11th birthday, I was beaming with creativity and vision.  After all, there are a million Minicraft links on Pinterest, and hundreds of crafty Mom's out there that put these babies on every year.  After perusing the internet for ideas, I quickly deduced that I could put this party on without a hitch, and in my general over the top style.  Fast forward to one week prior to the party, and I am in crafty Hell.... yes, just pure hell... I am eating, sleeping, and breathing Minecraft.  I am printing and cutting page after endless page of creatures and favors...  Sometimes 5 pages to result in 1 little 3 inch character.  Now don't get me wrong, I am forever grateful for the free printables that exist on the internet for this party.  You see, due to copyrighting and all that jazz, there are no Minecraft options to purchase at party supply stores.  You have to go all "Pinterest" on the party, and come up with everything on your own.  Hence, the arduous task of printing and cutting begins.  I was able to find almost everything I needed on this website here.  There are so many great Minecraft finds there, large heads, characters, swords, torches, all that kind of stuff.  Although I did have to spring for the food labels and the character banner on etsy, every thing else came from the party store and around my house.  I was able to put this party on for $120, which included all the takeaways,goody bags, food, decorations, etc.  I was not able to accomplish several of the 'Pinteresty' things that I wanted to do like creating "the nether" with streamers, and making everyone at the party character heads.  However, I was able to complete the foam core swords, torches, characters, decorated goody bags, Creeper poppers, birthday banner, homemade Creeper cake, and homemade rice krispy coal.  I was going to make the huge Creeper face display made out of paper plates, and bought everything to do that... but then I started thinking, "what will become of this monstrosity after the party?".  Yep, $20 in paper plates right into the trash.  So, no Creeper face display....  But I don't think the 10 boys that showed up even minded... it was a crazy day full of crazy boys, and tons of Minecrafty goodness...




Faux grass table cloth purchased at Party City.  {Wanted to go with the faux grass turf rug at The Home Depot, but $20 just didn't seem like money well spent on that for our budget.} 



Happy Birthday banner {letters} found here.  He also offers the entire alphabet so that you can customize your sign to include your child's name.  Since we have twins, we didn't have room to do that...

When I title this post, 'Labor or Love', this project is what I am referring to.  These swords were originally printed with tabs to be foldable 3d style.  But I didn't think they would stand up well to 10x 10year old boys.  So I cut them out and modpodged them to foam core.  Then cut them out with my craft knife.  Let me just say that this was no small task.  Just cutting all the pieces out {everything is two sided} was a very big job indeed.  But nothing could compare to cutting every little square edge with a craft knife through foam core.  If you are only making a few - highly recommended!  If you are making 10 like me??  Start early and just make a few at a time.  It is torture on your hands and back...  But the impact of this novelty at the party was a HUGE hit!



Printable food tents found on Etsy, purchased for a small fee.  The candy that we had at our party was purchased at Party City, and the twins named them Ink Sacs and Slimeballs.  Luckily I chose them, but they went with the party theme very well.  I just printed these labels out in Microsoft Word.  The containers holding the candy are upcycled candle containers from B&BW candles.  Just got them clean in the hot dishwasher.  The little white dishes were purchased at Target for around $2 for 2.  



More free printables from fps-x-games.com .  


The cake... from... hell...  lol...  apparently you need a square cake pan to make a square cake... but naturally I didn't have one since our move... so this sucker is like a 9x9 cake ball inside... held together entirely by frosting... And my frosting recipe that I used in Washington state for 10 years does not work so well in Texas when it is humid and almost 90 degrees in October...  Yep, it was the incredible melting cake... but it tasted great...  It's 4 layers with a fondant creeper face.  Easy if you have the right tools... which I did not...  ugh...




The table all set, Creeper, Pig, and torch printables from fps-x-games.com  .



Closeup of the banner... The pennant aces banner is from Etsy, I think it's called a "Minecraft Mob banner"...


Perfectly round cookies courtesy of Pillsbury dough log... lol...  


Creeper faced goody bags...


Minecraft Brewing Station complete with potions recipes and flavorful snow cone syrup.  We only had a couple on hand, so I made the rest of the syrups.  It is easy to make homemade snow cone syrup.  You just take 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water, boil for one minute.  Then add your packet of Koolaid or flavoring of your choice.  If you are using the drink packets that are for water bottles, just add two of those to your batch.  Turns out thick and great every time, but better than the store bought ones that sink down to the bottom of your cone instantly...  

Minecraft Brewing Station sign printed from an internet google search...  

Used the party poppers printables from fps-x-games.com for the water bottles.  

My version of Minecraft Coal is actually rice krispy treat blobs with copious amounts of black frosting coloring in the melted marshmallows.  I used Wilton brand, but I still had to use A LOT to get it to be black instead of deep purple.  Needless to say, there were many black teethed smiles going around that day... lol... I bet their parents were loving me on that one!  not.... 




I cut out cardstock faces to put on the party poppers before I realized that I had already downloaded the party poppers printables from fps-x-games.com so I ended up using them on the water bottles and the tnt bundles instead...  Extra work - but turned out as a happy accident in the end.  


Licorice bundles banded with the party poppers printable from fps-x-games.com to make TNT. 




Found blue diamonds at Party City in the wedding section.  They aren't the exact shape of the Minecraft diamonds, but the kids LOVED them!  We played a couple rounds of hiding them outside and having the kids find them.  It was super fun!  


We also played Creeper tag, sword fighting, and lots of minecraft on the computer and TV.  We had 5 kids playing at once - it was epic!  All in all, this party was much fun for my kiddos.  But I definitely wish that I had given myself more than a week to prepare for it.  I had to spend every waking minute of free time working on this.... ugh... but naturally - my twins had the time of their lives... and that's all that matters!!  If you decide to go forward with a party of this nature, God speed sisters and brothers!  
  

2 comments:

Alicia Barry said...

Amazing. Sounds like we are very similar. I am about to embark on this task for my son's 10th, and that website you posted is incredible, especially since I don;t really "get" the game lol. Thanks for the post.

Blogger said...

ROBLOX is powered by a growing player base of over 300,000 creators who generate an infinite variety of highly immersive experiences.

These experiences range from 3D multi-player games and competitions, to interactive adventures where friends can take on new personas to discover what it would be like to be a dinosaur, a miner in a quarry or an astronaut out in space.