Monday, August 19, 2013

A labor of love...

I try to serve as much as I can.  Try is the operative word here.  With my health discoveries and challenges this year, I have been unable to serve in the full capacity that I would like.  But one area that I am still able to serve in is sharing my crafty talent.  I was recruited to be part of a crafty duo to decorate tables and create centerpiece ideas for my church's women's group.  The theme this season was 'make a joyful noise".  In the process, I met a kindred crafty soul and we were able to bring our ideas together for a lovely display!  My friend wanted a very bright color scheme she saw on pinterest, and of course I am more of a neutral and rustic girl.  But our styles came together well, and I wouldn't change a thing about the final product...









We began by painting and distressing mason jars like we saw on pinterest....  only, there was no real tutorial for this sort of thing.  My friend really wanted a dark color to show through underneath the distressing, so the jars were painted with 2 coats of paint, and the insides roughly painted with black.  We then took sandpaper and randomly removed paint in a left to right motion all over the jars.  We loved the results!

























We made a number of decoupaged egg crates like I made in a previous post, but changed it up to music notes instead of dictionary paper to match the theme.






My friend found these lovely wooden birds and painted them, and she was brave enough to cut and wash burlap to achieve a softer, more crumply effect.  Messy, but worth the effort!




We used last season's vintage crates and just turned them upside down to give some height to the display.  We punched cute hearts from the music paper, and I was on lolly duty for hours... but it was worth it - I love how cute they turned out...
























It has been difficult to complete crafty time in the midst of my illness, and complete exhaustion.  But continuing to serve in this capacity gives me hope that I will be back to my old self again soon. It helps me feel more productive and not like a burden to those around me.  I have a million ideas of crafty goodness the for the upcoming months, which are naturally a crafter's favorite months of the year.  But I know that my productivity will be far less than in past years, and I just need to have patience with that.  I truly believe that the Lord wants me to learn patience from this whole experience.  He has also shown me the true compassion and patience of my dear husband.  My husband doesn't complain if the house isn't spit-spot, and he is always asking me how I feel, texting me while I am at my treatments.  He has stepped up with helping with dinner several times a week, and making the Costco trips all by himself.  Costco has been the hardest for me, so tiring to walk around that huge place.  All in all, he has proven that he is here for me in sickness and in health, and that is what I call a real man.  I can't believe that the Lord brought him to me, and that he is mine.  Everything is in place for me to just take the time to get better, I just need to be okay with the mental slow down to do just that.  Serving my family and my church are a true labor of love, but serving myself is a much bigger one.  One that I am learning to do the hard way, but learning none the less :-)

Happy Crafting and resting...
~HH




     

No comments: