Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Egg-stra inexpensive home decor...

So I was at my favorite little boutique recently, and saw the cutest little altered egg crate decor pieces...  They only wanted around $10 for the item, but I knew that I had everything at home to make it...  While brainstorming with friends for our upcoming season's church group centerpieces, these came to mind.  So I got to work trying to replicate what I had seen, and low and behold... it was easy-peasy and super farmhousey...








It goes very well with the "bless this nest" frame I made a while back...  This project was basically free, using the items in my crafty stash...  Dictionary paper, Mod Podge, distress ink, picture frame wire, crimped and shredded brown paper, cardboard egg crate, cute ribbon...  I used blown out real eggs that I was saving to make those confetti eggs, but just never got around to them... but you could use plastic eggs as well I guess.  I just cut the paper into strips, Mod Podged them onto my eggs, placed the eggs on top of bottles to dry them, and inked them.  I am not a super fast Mod Podger, so it took me almost 2 hours for all 6 eggs, about 20 minutes an egg.  I cut apart the egg crate, filled with the paper, added the wire to the top to look like a basket handle, finished off with ribbon.  That's it, so easy!  Now I just have to make 7 more for our church table decor, but they will be with music paper instead of book print.  We will most likely glue everything down and use stronger wire for greater durability...  so that's a lot of Mod Podging in my near future... lol...  sticky fingers coming up ;-)    

Happy Crafting!!

No comments: