Thursday, June 20, 2013

Texas is hot........... so I get a lot of crafting done....

It's hot.......... really, really hot.........  which means that the boys and I spend a lot of time at the pool, and in the air conditioned house...  Don't get me wrong, I do love the laid back style of summer.  Spending each day relaxing and crossing off tasks on my lists...  Such a contrast to the busy school year, and we don't want to have tooooo much fun while the hubby is working without him... lol...


So I saw a really awesome antique hotel key holder at my local antique store recently.  I absolutely love it, and my mind immediately went to all of the cool things I could do with it... like store my necklaces and hangy type jewelry on it.  But with a price tag of $150+, I did not bring this one home.  I knew that I could make something similar with a stash of Tim Holtz metal numbered tags that I had in my scrap studio.  So.... this beauty was born:




My hubby worked hard on it for me in the 100 degree plus garage, and I painted and embellished it... I love how it turned out, and it leads me to tons of other projects that my hubby could make me... mwahaahaahaa.... and the list begins :-)







So, ya.... the whole natural leaves wreath thing was beautiful for about 2 weeks, then it gave up and played dead....  Who knows, maybe it will make a reappearance for a Halloween decoration... now that is recycling....  Anyway, I transferred my embellishments to my lemon wreath, and I think it looks great... a lovely Summer wreath anyway........









I also put together this 30 inch grapevine wreath with a cotton strand and some burlap ribbon... oh snap!  So rustic and Texas-ey....  I love it......









I covered an old Goodwill find {$5} two tiered coffee table thingy with some old pillows, a coffee sack, and some carpet tacks... I love how it turned out, so much better than the original.  It would be hard to paint because it has laminated wood and plastic edges so 'ain't nobody got time to rebuild that thing'... I think it is well improved now as a bench...








I am trying to decorate for the 4th of July, slowly but surely....  I love the Americana style, would probably leave it up all year if I could.....














I hope everyone is finding some time to relax, and time to craft this summer... remember not to drive yourself crazy with one event after another... unless {of course} you like that sort of thing ;-)  As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and the couch this summer......

No comments: