Monday, May 23, 2011

Big Changes, little projects....

Well as evidenced by my silent blog for the past few months, my family and I have spent the first part of this year relocating 2000 miles away from home. My husband's job has taken us to Texas and you cannot imagine what type of planning and work goes into something of this nature. However - my craft room is finally up and running (amazingly enough) and I have made a couple of projects over the last week that really delight me and help me feel more at home here...
The first is a shadow box that I altered using the Echo Park Sweet Summertime line. I found the shadow box at Goodwill - it has some hiddeously painted pieces glued in each window and the frame was very dirty and scratched up. I took it apart and painted the frame. I then designed each window as part of a summer time theme (which will get used a lot around here since it has been over a hundred several times since we got here already). I have a feeling it will feel like summer most of the year here :-) Anyway - here are the pics - I love how fun and happy it turned out. All I used was the Echo Park Sweet Summertime kit, some SU! Real Red cardstock, some bakers twine, and misc buttons....
















































































The second is a fan folded fairy wand made for a friend's daughter's birthday. I was giving her a gift card (because what girl doesn't like to shop?) and I wanted to make it a bit more special of a presentation... I just used some random papers and embellishments and a doily from the dollar store. You can find the dowels for this project in the craft section at Walmart - or at hardware stores. They have all different widths of them so you could go really big with this type of thing. The trick to getting it right is to use at least 3 pieces of your paper, all the same size. Score and fold them then fold each one in half and glue in a circle together. A glue gun will ensure proper adhesion on this type of thing - trust me - you don't want to fool around with a tape runner on this one...




























I am having a hard time with getting my new home together - making it look homey. We had to get rid of many of our belongings in order to trek across the USA 2000 miles, and now it just feels like everything is so "without character" and builder generic in our home. I am setting my sights on decorating this house room by room and I will try to post some pictures of my organizing and solicit ideas from everyone out there in blogger land - I need as much help as I can get to make this house a home :-)
Have a Happy Day All!!!!!!!
~Heather





1 comment:

Chelsea Z. said...

I came here hoping to sneak a peek at the project you made me. :) LOL

Do you still want a ear-flap hat? I wasn't sure because you are now in Texas...do they ever have ear-flap hat weather? :D