Wednesday, December 10, 2008

'Nother gift...

Here is a little recipe book that I made for my mother for a Xmas gift. I just used the thin little pieces of chipboard that come inside your products like embellishments or paper. Viola - free bare chipboard. There are really hundreds of things you can do with these little gems - so whatever you do - don't throw them away!!! Here is a list of a few ways to use them in projects -
Mini-album covers

Die cut them

Have a favorite image on your Cricut cartridge? Cut it out 6 times all in the same size, pop a ring through a hole near the top, and you have your own shaped mini book. these can cost upwards of $8 at the craft store...

Paint them

Texture/ emboss plate them

Cover with paper for your own chipboard accents to match any project


Pierce shapes and cover with Crystal Effects for your own epoxy style buttons

This type of material works excellent for die cut letters for titles


Cut and use them for your own templates for future projects

Tags, tags, tags....

Use for sturdy labels around the house

Door hanger signs



Here is a project I used mine for this week. It is a recipe book for my (55 year old) mother. Her kitchen theme is Hello Kitty, so I just went with it. Normally I wouldn't do things so cutesy - but I am trying not to let my personal taste get in the way of a gift idea. I swear - if there is something that a 13 year old girl would like - my mother would love it... Anyway - I placed the holes at the top instead of the side so that it could stand freely while she is cooking... I used the "From the Kitchen" set from Stampin' Up! - it worked out really well for this project...








































I also grabbed a matching pen when I grabbed the sticker set for this project. I was going to attach it with a long ribbon but I think I will leave it free so that she can use it whenever she wants to...











More gifts on my to do list - so stay tuned :-)
~Heather

3 comments:

Kara Ward said...

I am such a Hello Kitty girl. I love this and picked up several items from my Target dollar spot. She just makes me smile ear to ear. Have you seen the Hello Kitty toaster? It is on my wish list. I know what you mean about the chipboard. I ask a local scrapbooking store to save it for me. Cereal boxes work well too. For the love of cardboard! Kara

Jessica said...

That is SO adorable Heather! What a great idea! Thanks for the cricut tip!

peata said...

cool gift idea.
making mini albums
mini album blog
.