Sunday, September 7, 2008

The yearly fixing of the furniture...

Okay - so I love nice furniture (or nice looking furniture) and had the opportunity to purchase many nice pieces of actual wood furniture before my twin boys were born. After all - my daughter was nearing the age of 10 and I figured it was time to do away with the press board lifestyle. So, I spent weeks touring stores and hand picking pieces that were within our budget - but that I really loved - not just needed.

Fast forward to Twinville, USA - circa 2002. No, we don't have tornadoes go through here every day - and I swear that I do clean... Unfortunately - anyone with young boys at home know the "joys of boys" and the affect that it can have on your home and belongings. Let's just say that I had to wait 5 years and 4 months to be able to have my lamps on tables again and don't even ask me about the toothpaste and chocolate milk stains on almost everything that I own... But - I do take time once a year to freshen up my furniture and try to get it looking a little less like I run a daycare here... even if the newness only lasts a week or so... I set to work with furniture colored markers, stain removers, and an arsenal of Febreze that could make even the stinkiest dog smell like he just came out of the dryer.




So I am not really sure what I was thinking having cushioned seats at our dining room table. I could not have foreseen the damage that bowls of splashing milk and cereal, juice boxes, and chocolate milk could have done. After all, the worst thing my daughter ever did was spill blue nail polish on the carpet of our brand new home. She didn't leave a cloud of dirt and path of destruction everywhere she went like my boys do.





So every year, I have to reupholster my chairs and touch up the paint. They used to be a nice maple color - but I turned crazy one day and had a wild idea to paint them black. I went all Pottery Barn on the chairs and the table - and it turned out pretty nice. However, the black and white toile that I used on the seats never stood a chance against the "terrific twosome" and their plethora of messy foods. Thus began the yearly recovering and repainting of the chairs.





Only this time I have gotten smart - I purchased some outdoor fabric for the seats in an effort for the chocolate milk to just "roll right off" - or so I think. Okay - I know that they will still end up looking like a throw pillow at Kindercare very soon - but for just a little while - they actually resemble furniture that I used to have before my beautiful bouncing mess makers arrived.





Here is my valiant effort in it's finest hour....














So pristine and smooth, un-snagged and odor free. Mmmm - this is the life :-) Not bad for $6 in spray paint and 1 1/2 yards of fabric that was $13.50 total at 50% off!!! Someday when I have an extra cool $200, I will buy my brain back and purchase chairs with wooden seats where the chocolate milk will just "roll right off". Until then, these will have to do....

Oh FYI on the amount of fabric you would need to do this project - better to stick with an full 2 yards. I didn't have enough to run the stripes on the vertical after I cut out my first piece a little too big - so better to have too much than not enough....

4 comments:

Heather said...

HAHAHA!!! ilove it! i know what you mean! Boys!!! MAN! I can't imagine having 2 lil ones! My son and hubby do quite enough! i have paint, glitter, food, you name it all over my kitchen table. The cushions, well ... Only 4 out of 6 even have them still. They have ripped and stained them beyond beliet. I may have to spray paint mine, I have not thought of that. :) I can't say hannah is toatlly innocent. she can be pretty messy too:) hahaha. I tried to cover my old chairs a year or so ago. i had to do mine every 6 months or so to make me happy. I had a not so brilliant idea of using a felt backed vinyl table cloth. it just ripped where Istapled it to the back of the board. did not last long. Then I got rid of them, lol. your chairs look beautiful. you are so so creative and not just creative .. you are so good. i imagine you are a perfectionist (in a good way :) ) I always love your posts :)

Beate said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I miss my table lamps. My chairs have cushions on them. They used to be beige.... They look really awful.I had not thought of recovering them. Thanks for the idea. I'll probably wait until hubby comes home for good before I try it. He is very uptight about things like that. LOL You did a beautiful job on the chairs. They really DO look like Pottery Barn. Love your style Heather!

Jessica said...

My chairs cushions on them too!! Yikes, what are we thinking? I recovered mine 2 years ago and they really really need it.

So you used two yards..for how many chairs? I have 6 of them.

Oh-and daughters can be just as bad. She's always saying, "Uh-oh mom, I spilled my milk AGAIN".

Jill said...

Oh LA LA! Fabulous! Love the fabric choice... so nice!

My home is red, black and a creamy white color. I have a nice red accent wall in my dining room and kitchen with black metal things on the wall... you can see them in the pic of my new hair on my blog... LOL! Anyway... I understand the whole furniture thing... kids really suck the life out of your furniture. We ended up buying a red sleek trim contemporary couch... not one of those puffy ones... nice trim and fabulous. I love red... lol!