Thursday, September 4, 2008

Happy Haunting/ Altered birdhouse...


What a crafty day I have had!!

I altered a plain craft store birdhouse into a Halloween display today - here are the pics and instructions:




I started with a plain wooden birdhouse from Michael's craft store. This was completely inexpensive - just a couple of bucks I think...


















I painted all the edges that would become "free edges" with my black MM scrapbook paint. This was done the day before to allow for ample time to dry.







Today I got to work punching 1 inch circles out of SU! cardstock and inking the edges for the rooftop shingles. I used a little larger circle in black for the roof cap. The colors I used are Pumpkin Pie, Lovely Lilac, and Kiwi Kiss. After I glued them into place - I went back over any spaces or wood showing through with the fine tip of my black marker. The glue that I used is a book binding glue that I get from my LSS - it is probably comperable to whatever glue you use whenever covering chipboard with paper.





Here you can see that I gave the shingles some dimension by leaving the very bottoms without glue and bending them up a bit. I was fortunate enough to find some orange Stickles today and I was gonna go over the black circles with this - but the tip is clogged so no go on this one today.... Never fear, dots to the rescue....





This pic shows how I place my regular copy paper over each side to create a template for cutting my patterned paper. I marked and punched for the holes in the birdhouse. I was super fortunate that I had punches to match the size of the holes for this project.... I created templates for all sides and cut out my patterned paper accordingly.


The paper that I used for this project is by K and Co - I got it at Target. It has lots of patterns that can be cut out and used as piecings instead of using the page in it's entirety if you wish. I cut out and mounted some cute little guys on SU! dimensionals randomly.









This is the finished project. I cut out the bats section of the paper and backed it with black card stock. Then I punched out black circles 2 for the front - 2 for the back - and bent them in half. Then I pasted them on the bat section, then onto the rooftop for sturdiness. I added the sentiment over the circles because I thought they looked terrible :-) This process allows my bats over the moon to stand up nicely.




Here is a closeup of the embellishments on the front. I made the sentiments by placing alpha stickers onto black card stock and cutting them out. The letters were fun fall colors - the brand name is Adorn it by Carolees Creations can be found at http://www.adornit.com/. I got a whole sheet of th alphas in 8 different fall colors for $1.25 at my LSS... I am sure that the KandCO line has 3D stickers that match this paper set - but I just made my own by cutting out the images from the paper that I liked the best...











This is just the side view of the little house - not much done here except adhering the paper with the edges inked and some dots added...














Well I hope you like what I have done with just a pack of Halloween themed paper and some alpha stickers. Having craft staples on hand such as paint, punches, adhesives, and gel pens really helps you complete projects like these quickly and inexpensively.
Has anyone else made some decorations to share? I would love to see some links in the comments to some fun Fall crafts.....

5 comments:

The wallflower said...

This is awesome!!! I love it, great job!

ivwhy said...

what a fun piece to have as decoration in the house!
i totally thought you used the halloween die cut pack from K&Company boos & ghouls. i just bought a pack & it had similar images you have. i'd be too lazy to cut them out from the page! love this project!

Jodi said...

That looks like it took a long time to make! Turned out really great!

Heather said...

HOW MUCH DO I LOVE THAT!!! I mean you totally rodk! That is amazing!!! Oh the possibilities!!! I am dyiing to craft or hit some yard sales. You so need to move closer to me and let some of your creativity rub off on me :o) Love this and all of your work. you are so so GOOD!!!

Jessica said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!