Thursday, August 7, 2008

Organizing without breaking the bank - Part 1

My crafty basement is really coming along and it won't be long until I can post some pics of the whole room. But - I wanted to pass on some pics of some ways that I have organized my supplies without spending more on the storage than the stuff in it actually cost :-) I just don't believe in that - besides - I don't want my craft room to look like a kitchen anyway - it needs to be inspirational - not institutional... I also have mostly concrete walls - and I am kind of a shorty - so I limit the vertical storage and have mostly within my reach. Okay - here we go - I warn you - it is long - 3 posts to be exact :-)...


First off - my work space. I like to keep everything at arms length that I would use as a consumable (except paper) so here is how I accomplish this:
















It may seem like I don't have a lot of actual work space - but I actually have a whole other side to the desk, a kitchen table with a leaf, and a two sided bar area to work with - so I am good :-)


This may seem quite fancy - but trust me - it is not. My new 3 tier wire rack was a gift from my momma for my B-day (so my kitchen could have it's fruit baskets back :-). The brown shelf that houses my ink pads is actually a Saint Vincent DePaul's find at $9.99.Here is a close up of my adhesives that are on the bottom tier of the wire rack... I just jumble them all in there together - happy chaos....





















The pine box turned into shelf above that was a garage sale find at $0.25 - I swear! It is actually some sort of slotted packaging that I turned into vertical storage. Remember to store your stamp pads upside down that don't store that way naturally like the SU! pads do...


















Another Goodwill find for around $2 was this strange little shallow black box thingy that I turned into my paint storage center...




















A wicker file storage system once held a gazillion McDonald's toys upstairs is now claimed by me for my Stampin' Up! related card stock and misc biz stuff. Oh - and the McDonald's toys are now in the garbage :-) The colored tabs designate the area for each color - then I have manila folders within that file for my scraps for each color. So basically the scraps are stored with the whole sheets, just in a folder within the tabbed section...















Cropper hopper plastic paper storage in my cupboards. I have misc books of 8x8 papers and such stacked on the shelf below them - I tend to keep paper sets together rather than break them up - it's just easier that way for the smaller packs. But the cropper hopper holds "stack" papers that are separated and organized by color.





















The right hand side of my desk - these are jewelry boxes that I got at Michael's last week for $1.99 each during their 75% off clearance sale... Below my desk - I was able to fit 12x12 sized plastic bin storage on wheels so I can roll it out if I need to.















Some little button jars from Michael's ($1 each) inside a metal bin atop my desk. I tend to grab these particular colors the most often so I keep them close by...















Part 2 coming right up...

7 comments:

Beate said...

Wow! Heather, this is so inspirational! Like what ya did to the place, lol! I'm constantly 'borrowing' things from the house for my scraps too!

MamaCass07 said...

Have I told you lately that I love you? He, he, he!

Marie said...

Highly inspirational! I can't wait to get to my new place and start getting my own craft room together. We are going to try and rent a house this time or rent a 3 bedroom to support my craft/hobby area and his field gear area (or office). He really needs one!

Anyhoo, you did a phenomenal job with you area. I am glad to find that you have turned non-costly items into a funtional organizational treasure! Awesome blog entry. I will definitely be looking into this in the future as a guide. TFS!

Christina said...

I love organization - it's the Capricorn in me. It was great when SU! inks could fit into those screw/nail/etc drawer organizers you could find at Home Depot. We just use the boxes for the ink now. It looks like a productive space!

Jodi said...

great tips on organization! I have a craft room that is pretty well organized, except there are boxes I still need to go through. It's definitely something that takes some time! =)

Dove said...

If the McDonald's toys are still in good shape - people collect them. You may want to get them out of the garbage and sell them as a "lot" on EBay or elsewhere.

Love the way your room looks! I am just starting to organize mine and I think I will have to go yard saling and to Salvation Army and check to see what finds I can find! LOL
Colleen

Jessica said...

I can't remember if I commented on any of your craft room pics or not but they are AWESOME!!! I love love love the fact that you are reusing items that you would normally toss or give away. It's really gotten me thinkin'! I used your paper-towel ribbon idea and I love it! It looks so cute too, ribbon art! :)