Saturday, August 16, 2008

Altered window project...

I was excited to get my new SU! Decor Elements vinyl rub-ons in the mail. I knew that I wanted to have an altered vintage window in my crafty basement somewhere - so I got busy with this project as soon as my rub-ons arrived... I wanted something functional as well as decorative - so I decided to turn this decorative project into a display item for my recently completed 12x12 scrap pages...



Here is what I started with. It is a vintage single paned window that I purchased from my (favorite) downtown antique store.

















The rub-on that I was using was soooo big that I could not purchase the multi-paned windows that are more visually appealing than just a plain two paned window as this one is. But - you gotta do what you gotta do... I went with the big rub-on because it was originally intended to be placed on my basement walls. However, due to the uneveness and terrible topography - I had to come up with an alternative option of display...


I knew that I would not be able to fill the space with paper and make it look intentional unless I went with the quilt square technique. If you have smaller panes - then you would not have this problem. I began placing the squares onto larger 12x12 pieces of card stock, and then taped three of them together along the backside. I ran a small bead of SU! Crystal Effects along the inside of the frame to adhere the paper in place. It dries clear and is an excellent adhesive - however the "wetness" of the medium did show up in some spots where I got a little too much in place... Here is the backside view of the project...

























After my paper was in place, I got to the fun part. I rubbed on my sentiment from the new SU! Decor Elements which measured like 36" x 14". It was difficult at first to get it placed right. Also, I had to modify the adhering process a bit because it is only designed to adhere to the front of the window, not behind the glass. I embellished the front of the glass just a little bit (I know right?!). I want for my completed pages to be the focus once displayed, not be too busy with too many accents. I tapped picture hanging nails in every six inches and hung altered binder clips on them to hang my layouts from:










































Here is the completed project all hung up in my craft studio...































There are so many other ways that you could complete this project, so have fun and make something GREAT!!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

OK, That is JUST GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! I knew I needed to get back to yardsaling for some reason:)!! lol. What a great idea and such beautiful work!

ivwhy said...

[clapping hands] another great project!

lorrietori said...

That is awesome!! I already put my "create" definition on the wall in my room, but will definitely keep this idea in mind for another project I have floating in my head. Thanks for the inspiration!!
~Lorrie

Beate said...

That is really awesome Heather!

Jessica said...

i LLOVE it!!!!!!! I so want one!!!!

Jodi said...

Heather, this is just awesome!! I love that, it looks like it took a long time!! =)

MamaCass07 said...

I KNOW I already left a messag on here. I HAD to! Oh, well! I am headed to Goodwill today to see what I can find! I am SOOO inspired!!! I have the perfect place (I think) at the top of our stairs for something like this!