Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Faux Metal tutorial..

Hey ladies... Just passing on a tutorial that was brought up on our SU! demo site this week. It isn't a new one necessarily - but one maybe some of you haven't tried yourselves. I got to work with this one and used it for my sketch challenge card example for the week - so stay tuned for that....

Okay - getting started - here are the supplies you will need:
Embossing powder
powder pals tray
stamp of your choice
heat gun
Versamark ink
Punch of your choice (optional)









You are going to make 3 layers of embossed powder. I used silver - but you could do this technique with any color embossing powder you have on hand. If you want it to be metallic in nature specifically - then of course you would want to use a metallic powder of your choice....



1. Direct to paper technique with your versamark ink - giving the paper a good coating.

















2. Sprinkle your powder over the inked area.


















3. Heat emboss your first layer. Continue this embossing process 2 more times to make 3 layers total.


















4. Coat your stamp with versamark to prevent sticking - and push the stamp down into the last layer of embossing while it is still hot. You may need to rock it slightly if the image you are working with has very fine details to it....
























5. Cut around your image - or use a punch as I have done here. Punching makes for a nice clean edge and lends to the "metal embellishment" affect. The particular stamp that I used is from a retired set - but was designed to use with the SU! Designer Label punch. However, you could use any shape punch you have to coordinate with the stamp of your choice.

















Here is the finished embellishment on my card for the week - I ended up inking it with brown to match my card - but it was originally all silver :-)
















Have fun with this technique - and stay tuned for my sketch challenge update....

2 comments:

Marie said...

Gorgeous Heather! I'm going to try this after finals!

Heather said...

OoOoO That is lovely:) I haven't embossed in SUCH a long time!!! maybe I should get out the goods and try it again:) Thanks:)