Thursday, July 31, 2008

Altering store bought cards...

Hey crafty ladies - hope all is going well with you! I just wanted to pass on some things I have been up to tonight...

I was able to find some really fabulous notecards in a package of 12 with envelopes for $1 at Big Lots yesterday. I noticed that they really matched the SU! colors Purely Pomegranate and Pumpkin Pie - so I grabbed them for sure...

Here is where I started from:



















Some of the things I tried were figuring out which way I wanted to orient the card. You could go either way with these - but I changed up the orientation from where they were originally intended. It makes it easier to add ribbon anyway...

I also did not want to keep the plain sentiment even though it was a perfectly fine sentiment. You know I can't do anything "plain".... I was lucky enough to get the SU! scallop punch to fit the circle area perfectly! I knew that I wanted dimension to this card so I just started adding layers and piercing and voila - here is my final card:



























Some things to remember when using existing cards are that the entire card is really fair game - here are some things to try:
  • Orientation of the actual card base or existing card - how do you want it? Can you change it and improve it?
  • Do you want to just use it as "background paper" - or are there parts of the card that would be nice spotlighted (or cutout and used as a main image).
  • Is there part of the card that you don't particularly like - can you cover it up with punches, flowers, or by mounting a stamped sentiment over it?
  • How can you make it more dimensional? Ribbon? Punches? Other embellishments...
  • Do you like the card - but not the sentiment? Cover it up with some of the techniques listed above...
  • Are you going to keep the card in it's entirety - or are you going to crop it and mount it as a card front?

And don't forget about embellishing your envelope - stamping to match your card works well, or sealing with a stamp or sticker. In this case - my envelope was a bit dark in color - so I just Cuttlebugged the envelope flap instead...
















So I have really really been into vintage things lately - and I found a fabulous antique mall in my town to become addicted to :-) I found tons of vintage cards and postcards - and I knew I could do something with them - so I grabbed about 10 ish...

Here is one that I chose to alter tonight. It is an actual postcard that a wonderful woman sent long long ago- notice the 1 cent postage on the back :-) Ahhh the good old days!! I was impressed at how the SU! colors Ruby Red and River Rock matched this card....




















After I punched out the sentiment with my large SU! Oval punch - I got to work distressing and tearing the main postcard image. I sanded, crumpled, edge distressed, and inked my background papers. The crumpled paper is mounted with regular adhesive, but my postcard image is on dimensionals. I used some SU! HodgePodge Hardware and ribbon - and finished it off with some Gold dimensional paint. I really love this one - I could have never painted anything close to this beautiful... Here is the finished card:





























I hope you are inspired to grab a card next time you see one if you find a good deal or one that you love - but as tempted as you may be - DON'T SEND IT OUT as you bought it!! You have to make it your own - jazz it up a bit - make it amazing!
Happy Friday!!

8 comments:

Laura said...

THIS IS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it!!! Great Job Heather!
~Laura

~amy~ said...

MAGnificent job on altering those $1 cards!!! The altered postcard is absolutely beautiful!!!

The wallflower said...

Wow, that is a great idea, I never thought to do that before. Great job!!!

Lisa M. said...

Yowzer! What a fablous reinventing of those cards! Sigh. i have soooooooo many greeting cards from the past before I made them...I guess I can sort them and figure out which one to "re-model"...Thanks for sharing!

ivwhy said...

i do this all the time w/ printed cards at the store. most of the time, i find cards w/ the monogrammed letter on it & just cover it up & embellish! tuesday morning is another place to find cheap packs of cards.

Marie said...

Amazing tutorial! So inspirational!

Stacy said...

THIS is such a wonderful idea! And you did a beautiful job!!! I always get those free greeting cards in the mail for making donations...I always feel bad for throwing them out...not anymore. Thanks for the idea!

Angela P said...

This is great!! I too found cards in a pack and changed them. I love that they come with matching envelopes. A true bargin!!!