Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recycled and saved myself $100....


So I really really really wanted this neato organizational tool that I saw online and that many of the crafty ladies online have in their dream scrap rooms.... Here is a pic of what I really wanted.... You can find all the pieces and add ons here: http://www.clipitup.com/products.html



So after you were to add all the clips and tags and a second unit on top to make into a two-tier unit - It would cost me about $100. Well, if you know me personally - I am kind of a cheap skate with things like that. I would rather just spend $100 on cute scrap stuff than something to hold it all. So I got to thinking - and I knew exactly what I could do...
Before she passed away, my beloved Grandmother had given me a (to put it lightly) a rather unsightly old lamp that had been broken and had a terribly dusty and tattered shade on it. Obviosly quite outdated - but I knew that I needed to hold on to this item because it had been by my Grandmother's side for a long time, and throughout her long battle with cancer. I had planned on refurbing the lamp base itself - but had completely discounted the shade - but couldn't bring myself to get rid of it yet.



Here is the lampshade base that I started with - quickly getting to work tearing away the tattered shade fabric.



















Here is the bare lamp shade frame that I ended up with -








Here is how my new sticker and embellishment storage system ended up... I tried several different clips - but the paperclips seemed to take up the least amount of space.





Not quite the fancy schmancy one that I originally wanted - but not bad for free and recycled from something that was given to me from a dear loved one that I really didn't want to end up in a landfill....





Here is a closup of my bent paperclip hangers. I am planning to add dividers when I find the right type - everything I have tried just falls to the side - so I think I will just tie on tags with fancy ribbon. I also plan to add a lazy susan underneath as soon as I find one with a big enough base. It will be great to have some swivel action :-)

So the next time you see a hideous lampshade at the thrift store - give it a second look. Especially the really tall ones - they would work even better for some of those really long sticker assortments...
Have a great week!!!

6 comments:

~amy~ said...

WOW! You are a organizational storage genius! What a magnificent idea!

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice !! Sam from CM cardmakinmommas

Julia said...

This is such an awesome idea!! I now have a lampshade and going to work on organizing my stickers/embellies onto this! :) Thanks for sharing this GREAT idea! :)

*Nikki* said...

what an awesome idea..you just saved me alot of money...because i am new to this and was fixing to buy that whole thing!!

thanks for sharing

K Andrews said...

FABULOUS idea with the lamp shade and a wonder memorabalia of your Grandmother! ~:)

Regarding you wanting to include dividers... what about using mini-binder clips (found at any office supply store) and small divider cards (punched out - like ovals/rectangles from the Marvy punches possibly)? The "hoops" of the clip come off the clip when squeezed, so you could clip the 'divider card' then hang it (using both "hoops") where you wanted between the hanging paper clips. It would hang closer to the top than the paper clips, making it easy to see/read.

Just a thought/idea... hope it helps. :o)

Kathy
kraftkrapp@gmail.com